NARI University is designed to help you make your company more profitable, navigate the critical issues facing the remodeling industry and identify industry and product trends. You will need to click on Event Registration at the top of each topic page to complete the registration process.
All NARI University events will run from noon to 1 p.m. Central Standard time.
Straight from the certifications
Key topics from our certification study groups are delivered for those who want to make their business more efficient and profitable—but don’t have the time to invest in the full certification prep process.
May 18, 2017 Noon CT: Remodeling for Independence and Dignity -- Without Talking About It
Because almost 90% of seniors want to continue to Live In Place™ in their homes and 70% of seniors now remodel for safety, this webinar will help your business prosper and grow for this market.
You will learn the importance of a standardized app checklist to quickly and accurately evaluate the needs and make recommendations for all your clients, and help reduce your liability.
At the end of this session you will be able to:
- Understand how to sell designs and products for independence and dignity without talking about it.
- Go beyond Universal Design and Aging-In-Place with the most up-to-date information available to recommend and provide safety solutions for every project.
- Recognize the benefits of establishing a collaborative team to meet your clients’ needs.
- Increase your business and profits through a solid business approach to accessibility, comfort and safety.
May 23, 2017 Noon Central: Kohler Toilets
KOHLER Toilets are on the leading edge of design and innovation. From our sleek, clean designs, to utilizing the latest technology in our intelligent toilets, Kohler offers a solution to meet every client's needs. Join us on May 23rd, to learn more about Kohler's Toilet Leadership and see some of our new products. All webinar attendees will be entered into a drawing for a chance to win a 2pc Cimarron Skirted Toilet!
June 15, 2017 Noon CT: Designing to Disguise: The Art of Hiding Technology
Home electronics should integrate seamlessly into a home's design and décor. This course reviews the three-pronged approach to hiding technology - advance planning, design philosophy, and product selection - which are available for minimizing the visual impact of electronics without compromising performance. Specific challenges and recommendations related to hiding video displays, projectors, speakers, controls, cameras, and equipment racks - among others - will be addressed. This course speaks to innovative and creative ways to lessen the visual impact of electronics by making them low-profile, hidden or camouflaged, or even invisible!
Learning objectives for this course:
- Review various residential systems and technologies and the unique approaches that can be used in the concealment process.
- Discuss how advance planning, design philosophy, and product selection affect the proper functionality of the installed products without compromising design integrity and aesthetics.
- Discuss methods and strategies for hiding technology in safe, convenient, and secure methods.
- Analyze technology implementation planning process.
July 20, 2017 Noon CT: Nail down your employee costs to raise profits (or How underestimating the true cost of field labor can kill profits)
Ask any contractor what’s hardest to estimate, and s/he will probably say labor. As difficult as it may be to predict how long it will take your crew to complete a set of tasks, it’s nearly as challenging to know how much it will cost you to get those tasks done.
This session reviews the hard and soft costs associated with getting that one hour of work done, and explores the consequences of failing to do so.
August 17, 2017 Noon CT: Your Customers Are Talking About You: Do You Know What They Are Saying?
Thanks to social media, you no longer own your brand – your customers do. With the click of a mouse or the tap of a finger, your customer can tell the world about their experience, and strangers will use that information to make decisions about whether to buy from you. Learn what you need to know about customer service in the post-internet world, including:
- Just what are your customers saying about you?
- Is social media scaring away your customers?
- How do you change the stories your customers are telling?
August 22, 2017 Noon CT: Clearing the Air: Fresh Ideas in Kitchen Ventilation
Focus of Presentation: help you increase effectiveness of kitchen ventilation within your design spaces
- Importance of Good Ventilation
- Key Concepts and Terms
- Design Considerations
- Style, Design, and Product Specification Options
- Client Communication
These Webinars are free but require registration.
Closing the Loop: The estimating to job costing process using QuickBooks
Too often, successful estimating done outside of QuickBooks leads to ineffective job costing in QuickBooks because the system for building the estimate doesn’t match your QuickBooks setup. Learn how to start from your estimating system, build a parallel job costing system in QuickBooks, enter data correctly, and follow through with useful job cost reports. If you’re not using estimates in QuickBooks now, see what they can do for you. If you’re not confident about the accuracy or completeness of your job cost reports, learn how to improve them. If your invoices show too much, too little, or just don’t look the way you want them to, find out how to modify them so they work for you.
- Discover how to create an appropriate match between the way you estimate and the way you job cost
- Follow the steps in QuickBooks from entering an estimate to creating (and making sense of) the job cost reports
Proper Planning for Residential Electronic Systems
As with other rough-in trades (mechanical, electrical, and plumbing), electronic systems should be planned for well in advance of construction and documented at the construction drawing phase of design. This course describes the processes used by professionals in the project planning, design, and installation phases of electronic systems. Participants will be able to identify different types of residential systems and the unique impact of each on specific design considerations, such as space, framing, electrical, and ventilation requirements. This course will also help attendees identify and analyze the benefits of working with trained electronic systems professionals.
- Identify the different types of residential systems and unique considerations of each
- Describe the processes used by professionals in the project planning, design, and installation phases of electronic systems
- Determine electronic systems impact on the design and construction relative to:
- Space allocation
- Framing requirements
- Electrical and conduit requirements
- Ventilation and millwork requirements
- Home theater design
- Recognize essential timeline for selecting and engaging an electronic systems professional for your project
The Styling Space by Kohler
At Kohler, we offer everything you need to create a stylish, functional and efficient vanity area. Whether your client is looking to make a statement in a petite powder room, or adding storage to a master bath, Kohler can provide complete, coordinated, solutions that allows you to create the space of your client’s dreams. Join us on February 28th to learn more about how Kohler’s innovative product collections can help you create beautifully functional spaces designed with your client’s daily tasks in mind.
Using Electronic Adaptive Technologies to help People Live in Place
Because almost 90% of seniors want to continue to Live In Place™ in their homes and 70% of seniors now remodel for safety, this webinar will help your business prosper and grow for this market. And many of these people are relying on electronic technologies in their home to make living much easier.
As more and more individuals, especially older ones, choose to stay in their home, there are many challenges that they encounter. Electronic assistive technologies can make Living In Place easier and a much more conducive possibility.
At the end of this session you will be able to:
- Understand the State of Electronic Assistive Technologies & Trends
- The sort of Electronic Assistive Technologies for:
- Mobility Challenged
- Hearing Challenged
- Vision Challenged
- Cognition Challenged
- Overall Home Safety
- How to sell and service these in your business.
How Consumer Financing Can Significantly Boost Your Sales
Recently, a leading home improvement business in Cleveland increased sales by double-digits by offering financing as part of their standard selling practice to every customer. How did they do it? Technology played a key role. So did a few proven sales techniques, a simple message and a little applied psychology.
In this webinar, we’ll provide easy-to-follow guidelines on how you can use consumer financing as a tool to close more sales, increase average order value, improve your cash-flow and grow your business.
- If you don’t currently offer financing, you’ll learn how to drive higher close rates by offering the right financing program to the right customer at the right time. More customers say “yes” when offered flexible financing solutions.
- If you currently offer financing, you’ll learn how to upsell larger jobs by deploying a few simple sales techniques and an effective, easy to use mobile app.
- We’ll use real-world examples to show your sales team how easy it is to offer financing as part of the sales process.
- You’ll learn how the right financing partner can help you get paid faster and significantly improve your cash flow.
Consumer financing is the fastest way to grow your business in 2017. Join us as GreenSky’s Senior Vice President of Sales, Jeffrey Gold, shares how easy it is to leverage today’s most advanced financial services technology to sell more.
Stand Out in the Digital Age
Did you know that 95% of homeowners now research their options online before hiring a home improvement professional? These days, understanding homeowner trends and expectations is a crucial part of closing a sale. Join this webinar as Maria Vornovitsky, senior manager of strategic partnerships for HomeAdvisor, shares tips on how to crank up your marketing and sales strategy by connecting homeowners’ expectations to converting leads.
In this webinar, you will hear about online marketing trends specific to the remodeling industry, learn best practices in managing your online reputation and discover proven keys to success in closing online leads. At the end, a couple online stocking stuffers will be delivered.
Missed this webinar click here to view the recording
Fluid Applied Membranes
The Best Way to Keep Buildings Dry from the Outside
Water damage is the greatest cause for repairs in homes. As homes become tighter, as in not being allowed to “breathe,” the possibilities for water damage become greater. Couple that with the increased susceptibility of modern building materials to moisture damage, the need to reduce water leakage from the exterior is at an all time high.
To prevent that leakage, we have progressed from rosin paper to synthetic housewraps. Cutting-edge moisture management materials can now be applied in fluid or liquid form.
In this session you will learn:
- What fluid applied membranes are
- How to select the right one for your application
- Best practice application techniques
Missed this webinar click here to view the recording
The Five Keys to More Leads, More Sales and More Thrilled Customers!
Do you want to grow your remodeling business in 2017? If so, it’s really time to rethink sales and marketing as we’ve known it!
Consider this… over the past few years the way people buy (and shop) has changed dramatically, but, most companies are still using the same outdated strategies and methods in their way of doing business. This HAS to change!
In this special webinar, we will be joined by Tim Musch - Director of Business Development at MarketSharp, who will detail 5 easy-to-implement strategies guaranteed to result in more leads, more sales and more thrilled customers who will spread the word about your company.
You’ll learn how to properly align your marketing and sales efforts with TODAY’s consumer which is critical for success in our changed marketplace. In 2017, consumers are demanding a buying experience that meets THEIR needs and it’s your job to craft this experience that makes your company irresistible.
Some of the powerful items covered include...
- What Bob Dylan, Vince Lombardi, Bill Gates, and Steve Jobs have to say about optimizing your success
- Why you might be “Looking for Leads in all the WRONG Places”
- How to easily generate cost effective leads when you need them through ‘Micro Marketing”
- Why you HAVE to strike the right balance between online and offline marketing
- Specific strategies to turn your unsold leads into profitable business (huge)
- How to put your follow-up efforts on autopilot
- Simple processes to easily create "lifetime" customers (repeat/referral business)
- How you can grow your business this year by over 60% while only getting 10% better at what you do (really!)
- What is Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO) and why it’s critical to your success
- How to breathe life into and convert more of your internet leads
- Proactive methods to consistently get profitable referrals
- How to proactively stimulate positive online reviews for your business
- The secret to stop important things from "falling through the cracks"
- What Key Performance Indicator (KPI) numbers you absolutely need to know about your business
- Much More!
- When: Thursday, November 10th
- Time: 1:00 pm EST (adjust for your time zone)
- Investment: Complimentary, courtesy of NARI
Bottom Line: After joining us for this special webinar you will be in a position to generate MORE leads with LESS cost throughout 2017!
Missed this webinar click here to view the recording
Adding a Home Energy Score as an Easy Upsell to Your Next Project
Adding energy efficiency and improved comfort to your next remodeling bid can help get you more business, more revenue per project and increase customer satisfaction. Despite that, communicating improved energy savings and understanding exactly what opportunities exist can be difficult. Not anymore, as a NARI member you can get access to the Department of Energy's Home Energy Score bid generator which creates a custom easy to understand 1 - 10 energy label for your client's home with a list of improvements that show them how to save. You can add this tool into your bid generation and create more revenue while leaving your customer more informed and comfortable as well as empowered to reduce their energy in easiest ways.
Design Trends and New Products from Kohler
It’s an exciting time to be a Remodeler. Today’s consumers are looking for highly personalized designs that center around their well-being. The opportunities to help your clients showcase their own style are endless. At Kohler, we have made it our mission to help you, help your clients achieve the kitchen and bathroom of their dreams. No matter the style preference, Kohler has a solution.
During this hour webinar, we’ll walk through six categories that Kohler has identified as the leading 2016/2017 trends and how you can incorporate them into you bathroom and kitchen designs. We’ll also look at the latest Kohler Kitchen and Bath products that are on the leading edge of design and innovation.
Lobby Your Local Representative: It’s Easier than you think
For many Americans the thought of lobbying their elected officials is daunting. Yet, officials need to hear from their constituents in order to fully do their job. This webinar will help you understand how to make your voice heard and be an advocate for remodelers and small businesses. The course will go over how to succinctly present an issue, how to make “the ask,” and how to follow up to get a response. Grassroots mobilization will also be covered, as well as enhancing your voice through coalitions. You will also learn how to use the NARI website to identify your elected officials and communicate with them.
The webinar will be led by three former elected officials:
The Honorable Tim Hutchinson
Former U.S. Senator and Congressman
The Honorable Charlie Bass
Former U.S. Congressman
The Honorable Albert Wynn
Former U.S. Congressman
Randi Hutchinson, Esq., an attorney and former Congressional staffer will also participate.
Understanding and Implementing OSHA's New Silica Standard for Construction
On March 25, 2016 OSHA issued a new rule to better protect workers exposed to respirable crystalline silica on the job. The rule will affect many home remodelers who work with concrete, brick, stone, and other crystalline silica-containing materials. This webinar will review the key provisions in the new standard for construction and explain what home remodelers need to do to comply with the standard.
Utilizing Technology to Increase Profits: Is Technology a Time Saver or Time Waster.
Leslie Shiner of The ShinerGroup will discuss the current state of technology and what is best to use to maximize your business.
Understanding Today's Home Technology and Infrastructure Options
There are many available options related to technology for today’s savvy clients, and this course will help guide participants through the myriad of choices. Participants will walk away from this course with a comprehensive overview of current home technologies available in today’s connected homes. The in-depth discussion will include wired vs. wireless, integrated systems—what they are and how they work—and engaging a trained electronic systems professional. This overview will also help attendees plan for proper wiring infrastructure and other profitable electronic systems.
- Identify various residential systems and their unique qualities
- Define benefits of technology related to energy efficiency and savings, comfort, convenience, and safety
- Analyze the considerations related to wired systems vs. wireless systems
- Recognize essential timeline for engaging an electronic systems professional in the design and build process
Home Automation Trends and Pitfalls presented by CEDIA
Integrating technology into a remodeling project can take on many forms — you don’t have to be the expert to guide your clients to the best solution. You simply need to have access to the resources. DIY products and systems are becoming more and more common, but that is only one option. A fully integrated home, which provides reliability, service and support, and is part of the home is the other end of the spectrum. Or perhaps your client wants the hybrid option, where some products are app-based and portable, and some products and features are long-lasting. Whatever the choice, learn more about DIY options, hybrid options and full-on integrated systems, and the tools you can have in your toolbox to assist your client with making the best decisions for their project.
Design and Remodel Homes to Make Life Easier: Lessons from the Universal Design Living Laboratory.
Incorporating universal design in remodeling projects results in homes that are more convenient, accessible, functional, peaceful and safe for everyone during every stage of life — regardless of age, size, or physical ability. Find out what works, what sells, and where the challenges are from Rosemarie Rossetti, Ph.D, general contractor and owner of the Universal Design Living Laboratory www.udll.com, the top rated universal design home in North America. Rosemarie’s information-packed, interactive program will identify, room by room, what features can be added or changed to give clients total access, independence and peace-of-mind. Through this virtual tour and presentation, remodelers will gain a different sense of space planning and accessibility from the perspective of a person who uses a wheelchair.
Many clients are looking to remodel their homes to create their “forever home.” Remodelers who can counsel clients about universal design features and benefits, important to present and future housing needs, are in a better position to attract and keep clients for life. Conversations need to include a discussion about the importance of universal design and how homes that include these features will better serve the homeowners in the present, as well as in the future. See the research supporting a higher resale value and faster home sales when universal design features are included. Explore the costs versus value that universal design features add to a remodeled home. Come away able to communicate the concepts of universal design to your clients, and articulate smarter design solutions that provide independence for your clients with multiple needs and abilities.
Conversations That Get Results
In this interactive, dynamic presentation, Vicki Suiter shows participants how to:
- Build a great organization with top-performing employees
- Get people to do what they say they’ll do
- Motivate others to take effective action
- Have honest, frank conversations with staff, clients and colleagues that build lasting relationships.
- Get clear alignment and agreement on goals and deadlines
You'll leave Vicki Suiter's breakthrough talk with...
... new tools and resources that generate more consistent results with teams, along with easy-to-use strategies that effect positive change in the workplace. Vicki doesn’t just give participants tips and techniques, she provides the thinking and practices that help build great leaders, manager and employees.
Are you tired of hearing that your prospects need to “think it over” when you know they are just going to take all your information and shop your price around? Do you find yourself ‘following up’ with prospects that have your bid, but can’t get them to make a decision….or even take your call? Are you frustrated with doing a ton of ‘free consulting’ for a prospect only for them to take your work and use another contractor?
If so, join us for our November webinar with Tim Barry from Sandler Training. As a former contractor and business owner, Tim has sold over $25MM in exterior home improvements, basement waterproofing and custom homes. Today, he is a Master Sandler Sales Trainer who is teaching tradesman and contractors how to change the rules of the game with homeowners and helping to dramatically improve closing rates, profit margins and sales predictability.”
The webinar will cover
- how to uncover the home owner’s real reason to buy
- how to discover their true budget
- how to fully understand the decision making process as the sales person attains equal business footing with their prospect.
The time to stop being reduced to a commodity is now! Join us for this one hour, interactive webinar!”
Understanding your Businesses Metrics
Have you ever wondered what really makes your business work?
We are having a one-hour webinar with Henry Goudreau, C.S.L., author, business coach, speaker and founder of HG & Associates, Inc. Henry has been coaching contractors for over 20 years and has developed a proven method to understanding what makes your business work.
In this one-hour webinar, he will show you what business metrics are, how to develop them, and what metrics you need to understand to instantly improve your remodeling business.
- Exactly why you want to know your business metrics, and how to leverage them for your success.
- What metrics you need to focus on.
- How you can easily drive more money to your bottom-line by using your business metrics.
If you ever dreamed of owning a remodeling business that works for you, this is the MUST-HAVE webinar you need to attend.