CLC Topic Review
Construction Trades Part 1.
Construction Trades Questions currently make up 32 to 41% of the exam.
Carpentry Makes up 9 to 10% of current exam
- Define the terms associated with carpentry.
- Describe the purpose of and support methods of beams and girders.
- Describe the proper framing methods of walls (load and non-load bearing).
- Describe the purpose, proper spacing, and sizing of floor joists.
- Describe the various special floor systems including the parallel-chord truss.
- Describe the use of panelized floor systems including precautions when making modifications.
- Describe the various methods of constructing stairs.
- Calculate the number and size of risers and treads (less nosing) for a given stair run.
Windows and Doors Makes of 3 to 4% of the current exam
- Describe the various construction techniques that can be employed to reduce noise transfer within the residence.
- Define terms associated with windows and doors.
- Describe the two methods of replacing windows.
- Describe the NFRC window label components.
Interior Finishes Makes up 5 to 6% of the current exam
- Define terms associated with plaster application and repair.
- Define terms associated with dry wall application and repair.
- Identify and describe the advantages of the various types of dry wall available.
- Describe the installation procedures used for dry wall.
- Describe the two basic types of paint.
- Describe how clean up for different types of paint varies.
- Describe how to properly prepare a surface for paint.
- Describe the type and application process for hardwood floor finishing.
Insulation Makes up 2 to 3% of the current exam
- Define terms associated with insulation evaluation and installation.
- Identify the boundaries of the thermal envelope.
- Identify the architectural symbols associated with insulation.
- Describe the sources of moisture in a residence.
- Identify the methods of moisture and vapor transfer.
- Describe the use of caulk and weather strips to stop or attenuate air leakage.
- Identify common sources of heat loss in a modern home.
- Describe moisture control as it relates to insulation installation.
Roofing & Siding Makes up 2 to 3% of the current exam
- Define terms associated with roofing and siding.
- Describe the various roofing systems in use today.
- Describe the various flashing types used on roofing and the specifications of each.