CLC Topic Review
Construction Trades Part 2.
Construction Trades Questions currently make up 32 to 41% of the exam.
Concrete & Masonry Makes up 2 to 3% of the current exam
- Define the terms associated with concrete and masonry.
- Describe and identify damage caused to brick by moisture.
- Describe methods that can be used to eliminate moisture damage to brick.
- Describe the stress that can damage masonry.
- Describe the effects of soil expansion and settlement.
- Describe the cure process of concrete.
- Describe the purpose and location of control and expansion joints.
- Describe and identify the various defects commonly found in concrete and masonry.
- Estimate the amount of concrete required for slabs, walks, drive, and footings.
- Describe the precautions that should be observed when placing, finishing, and curing concrete in cold weather.
Plumbing Makes up 3 to 4% of current exam
- Define terms associated with plumbing systems.
- Identify the three systems associated with residential plumbing.
- Describe the basic concepts of planning plumbing systems.
- List the typical rough-in dimensions for various plumbing fixtures.
Electrical Systems Makes up 3 to 4% of the current exam
- Define terms associated with residential electrical systems.
- Identify the architectural symbols associated with electrical systems.
- Describe the code requirements for junction and distribution boxes in terms of location and accessibility.
- Describe the precaution associated with recessed lighting fixtures.
- Describe the locations of receptacles as described in the NEC code.
- Describe the required locations for Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) protected outlets.
- Describe the required locations for Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter (AFCI) protected outlets.
- Describe the various types of wiring material used in residential wiring.
- Describe residential grounding requirements.
Mechanical Systems Makes up 3 to 4% of our current exam
- Define terms associated with mechanical (HVAC) systems.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of indoor air quality and the need for adequate ventilation.
- Describe back-drafting and what hazards it presents to the occupants.
- Describe the method used for testing for and correcting back-draft problems.
- Describe the issues related to forced air heating and cooling systems.
- Describe the issues related to heat pump heating and cooling systems.
- Describe Mini Split systems and their use. (new)