NARI University is designed to help you make your company more profitable, navigate the critical issues facing the remodeling industry and identify industry and product trends. You will need to click on Event Registration at the top of each topic page to complete the registration process.
All NARI University events will run from noon to 1 p.m. Central Standard time.
February 15, 2018 Noon CT: Effective Client Communication in Construction
Presented by: Buildertrend
Effective communication with your client is vital to the successful completion of any construction project. Good communication can lead to repeat business and referrals. Poor communication can result misunderstandings, poor reviews on social sites and even legal issues. Buildertrend’s Client Portal is the perfect vehicle to keep you and your client on the same page and on great terms. In this webinar we will look at how the Client Portal allows you to share the information you want the client to have – like schedules, selection deadlines, photos, change orders and much more.
February 22, 2018 Noon CT: How to be the Remodeling Hero in Today’s Digital World
Presented by: HomeAdvisor
It’s not easy to standout online and reach new customers in the world of the internet. You can’t ‘help everyone’ or ‘win over every customer’ but you can win the right customers over by having a great online presence. Explore what it means to find customers specifically looking to hire a remodeler and increase your profits rapidly. Get takeaways on how to win the hearts of homeowners and be a star in your industry. Learn a few quick and easy strategies to get noticed by new customers. Understand digital trends and how to showcase your business so you can maximize your lead conversion.
February 27, 2018 Noon CT: What is SEO?
Presenter: Brian Dickerson, Townsquare Interactive
SEO stands for search engine optimization, and it’s what allows your customers to find your remodeling business online. During this webinar, you’ll learn about the components that go into a strong SEO strategy and where the future of search is headed.
OSHA Silica Video March 5-9
The Region VI OSHA Office and Region VI OSHA Education Centers (Mid-South, OSU, TEEX and UTA) are offering a free presentation to raise awareness and understanding of silica.
The one-hour video will focus on:
- Compliance Construction
- Compliance General Industry
- Best Practices
*This one-hour video is free of charge and will be available for viewing March 5-9. Please register to receive a link to the video by completing the form on this page
March 13, 2018 Noon CT: Why Your Directory Listings Can Make or Break Your Business Online
Presenter: Brian Dickerson, Townsquare Interactive
Have you heard of NAP? Learn how directory listings with correct name, address and phone info can boost your business and why bad info can cause your remodeling business’s credibility to take a hit.
March 20, 2018 Noon CT: Paint 101: Paint and Coatings Technology
This course will offer an introduction to paint and take a closer look at the evolution of paint technology. We will analyze the components of paint, specifically the different types of binders available and compare and contrast them. This course looks at the different sheens available on the market and helps the learner select the right type for their project. This course will identify the properties of a “green” paint, and the benefits of specifying them for a project. Finally, we will wrap up by identifying common paint performance issues and evaluating the reasons for their failures and ways to prevent them.
- Learning Objectives
- Discuss the evolution of paint technology
- Understand the functional properties of paint and coatings
- List the four basic components of paint
- Identify different sheens and know when to use each one
- Understand VOC and how to choose a “green” paint
- Identify common paint performance problems and how to prevent them
This program brought to you by Sherwin-WIlliams
April 25, 2018 Noon CT: 7 Steps to Time Mastery By Mark Richardson
Are you stressed for time? You don’t seem to have enough to get done what you need to get done? This webinar is for you! Mark Richardson will provide the following take-aways:
- Understanding time
- Visualize time
- Reducing the reactive time
- Squeezing out more hours a day … a gift of time
- Do a time autopsy
- 10 Most common time wasters
- Time mastery system
This is a must attend for busy NARI Members!
This webinar is brought to you by The Home Depot
These Webinars are free but require registration.
Internet Marketing Trends-How To Stay Ahead Of The Curve
If you build it (your website) they won’t come. Just building a website isn’t enough to get a steady flow of internet leads. Your website is one of your most important marketing tools. It takes effort and a dedicated budget to get your site to provide a consistent flow of potential customers. Learn about the up-and-coming internet marketing trends and how you can use them to stay ahead of the competition.
Presented by: John Leutermann Web Marketing Manager at Weather Tight Corporation and Owner of Big Rock Marketing
Missed this webinar, Click here to watch now!
6 Smart Green Products That Also Improve Your Client’s Safety and Ease
Find out what six products can be included in homes that are both green and universal design. Remodelers will learn about the benefits of universal design and what products can be selected to make life easier and are energy and water efficient.
Our presenter, Rosemarie Rossetti, PhD. will share products used at the Universal Design Living Laboratory, www.udll.com the most ambitious national demonstration home and garden. This is the top rated universal design home in North America earning three national certifications. For the green features, the home received a Silver certification on the LEED for Homes program from the U. S. Green Building Council. The home earned a Gold rating from the Home Innovations Research Labs, subsidiary of the National Association of Home Builders on the ICC 700-2008 National Green Build Standard.
Your takeaways will be:
- Elements of a sustainable home: economical; environmental; sustainable
- LEED for Homes includes universal design and visitability features
- Flooring that is green and universal design
- Window features that are green and universal design
- Toilet features that are green and universal design
- Showerheads and handshower features that are green and universal design
- Door features that are green and universal design
- Landscape paver features that are green and universal design
- Initial product cost versus long term value
Financing Options for Remodeling Projects
“HELP US! We have an old and dated home that needs “sprucing up”. “My wife is having triplets –We need more space – NOW.” “Our parents have mobility and vision issues and are moving in with us. We want to get started soon, but do not know how to finance our project.”
These and many other similar scenarios are not uncommon. Most professional remodelers and designers do not know how to offer their clients a knowledgeable answer. But the smart and successful remodeler or designer always has an answer to their clients’ financing challenges. Those informed professionals will have on their teams the best financing experts ready to help finance almost any size project.
This webinar will give an overview of the pros and cons of various financing options, so you can help guide your clients towards getting their project underway.
- Why You Need To Know About Financing Options
- Non-Borrowing Options
- Borrowing Options
- Who Should Be On Your Finance Team
- Next Steps
Presented by: The Living In Place Institute
Manage your jobs on the GO
All remodeling companies are looking to utilize their mobile devices to better manage their jobs when in the field. This webinar will take a look at the current devices, software and apps that are available to construction companies today. More specifically, we will discuss how correctly utilizing these available apps can save a construction company up to 9 hours per week and exceed the expectations of the information-hungry buyer of 2017.
Brought to you by BuilderTrend.
INSIDE OUT: BRINGING INDOOR-OUTDOOR LIVING SPACES TO YOUR CLIENTS’ REMODEL
Presented by: Brenda Brunk, Product Planner, Marvin Windows and Doors
As the indoor-outdoor living trend continues to grow, so does the demand from your clients. From living areas to backyard kitchens, indoor-outdoor trends can give a home an inside-out twist. Creating seamless transitions between these spaces is an important consideration when remodeling a home -- one design change can blur the lines between indoors and outdoors and can have a great impact on the way your clients experience everyday life.
Join us for this webinar to learn about things to consider and the solutions available when designing a new indoor-outdoor space into a remodel.
Best Practices for Finding and Retaining the Best Candidates.
You could do more projects if you had the workforce to do the work. That seems to be a very common problem for remodelers today. This webinar will discuss best practices:
- To use for searching and finding qualified Candidates
- To identifying the traits that signal a winning employee
- For developing creative retention strategies to keep your best workers
This webinar presented by Angie’s List.
Universal Design for Independent Living
Between 2012 and 2050, the US will experience considerable growth in its older population. As millions of Baby Boomers turn 65 and older, designers, remodelers, and new home builders will increasingly be called upon to renovate and design homes that foster independent living and provide clients the ability to age in the comfort of their own home. Accessibility, usability, functionality and safety are of paramount importance – but not at the expense of tasteful décor and a pleasing aesthetic. This course will explore tips for creating a home that works for all generations, with particular emphasis on the role of color, sheen and lighting on aging eyes. Finally, we will discuss tips for incorporating independent living strategies into your designs, as well as in to conversations with your clients.
• Understand characteristics of the Baby Boomer generation, and how their numbers and interests shape demand for independent living strategies.
• Consider tactics for renovating and designing homes that are accessible, usable and safe for all generations, but especially to those who are elderly.
• Explore the role of color, sheen and light on aging eyes and determine optimum selections for comfort and functionality.
• Discuss tips for incorporating independent living strategies into your designs, as well as how to manage “aging in place” conversations with your clients.
Brought to you by Sherwin-Williams
How To Easily Generate Positive Online Reviews
Presenter: Brian Dickerson, Townsquare Interactive
Establishing a strong reputation online is critical to earning new business. Learn what goes into the decision-making process when homeowners consider a remodeling project and how you can generate online reviews that bring you more business.
Holiday Refreshes from Kohler
With the holiday season right around the corner, get your clients ready for all of the entertaining they’ll be doing. From innovative, clean features in the bathroom, to functional and expressive styles in the kitchen, you can quickly and easily give your clients a refreshed look. In this webinar, we’ll discuss what consumers are looking to get out of these spaces, especially when it comes to having guests interact with them, key products and pairings that meet their needs that will help them to show off their personal style, and tools and resources that Kohler has designed specifically for the professional.
Transform by Caesarstone
Join Jason Cameron, Licensed home improvement contractor and host of DIY Networks' Desperate Landscapes, Man Caves, and Sledgehammer, as he dives into the benefits of Transform by Caesarstone, a cutting-edge quartz countertop overlay
Professionally applied on top of existing counters, Transform by Caesarstone dramatically cuts renovation time from weeks to hours
Each renovation is one-of-a-kind but you need more than one solution. Learn all about Transform by Caesarstone and how this new overlay can expand your opportunities
Create Interprofessional Teams for Living In Place
Your clients deserve the best possible solutions, the first time, every time. Now, more than ever, it is vital to have qualified interprofessional teams for all your projects. Learn from the experts:
- The value of interprofessional teams (this can include the above analogy)
- Characteristics of high performance teams
- Choosing team members
- How to create interprofessional teams
Keeping Busy in the Off Season
The reason to market during your peak season is because this is when most customers are finding and interacting with you. In this webinar your will learn:
- Role of marketing in peak season – choosing the work you want to do
- The benefits of offering a planned maintenance programs
- How to offer and schedule upgrade opportunities
Presented by Angies List
Social Media for Your Business
Presented by: Emily Finley, Senior Corporate Communications Manager, Marvin Windows and Doors
With the increased monetization of social media, engaging with your audience is no longer free. As one social media expert recently wrote, “Put your money where your post is.” Attracting an engaged social media audience on the most popular platforms, such as Facebook, Instagram and Houzz, requires planning, funding and time. Join us for this webinar to learn more about which social media platforms are worth the effort and how to up your business’ impact on them.
RE-Evaluating Kitchen Surfacing
Description: The design of the common modular kitchen has, for almost a century, remained largely unchanged. Veering away from its basic conceptual arrangement, this course presents a discussion on the use of quartz surfacing in innovative kitchen design concepts that are created with optimal functionality in mind. Also reviewed are the characteristics, performance benefits, and application possibilities of quartz surfacing.
Custom Showering with Kohler
Description: At Kohler, we believe a shower should transform the user and make the journey of their day more meaningful and memorable. Our showering experiences are designed to make the daily ritual an escape from the ordinary. With more and more consumers looking for custom solutions that will provide a spa-like experience, only Kohler has everything you need to create to deliver on that expectation. In this session, we’ll explore the product solutions, resources, and support that Kohler offers to help you create the space of your client’s dreams. While we believe a shower can be many things, it should never be ordinary. When you step into a KOHLER® shower, the only question is, where do you want to go?
Clearing the Air: Fresh Ideas in Kitchen Ventilation
Focus of Presentation: help you increase effectiveness of kitchen ventilation within your design spaces
- Importance of Good Ventilation
- Key Concepts and Terms
- Design Considerations
- Style, Design, and Product Specification Options
- Client Communication
Your Customers Are Talking About You: Do You Know What They Are Saying?
Thanks to social media, you no longer own your brand – your customers do. With the click of a mouse or the tap of a finger, your customer can tell the world about their experience, and strangers will use that information to make decisions about whether to buy from you. Learn what you need to know about customer service in the post-internet world, including:
- Just what are your customers saying about you?
- Is social media scaring away your customers?
- How do you change the stories your customers are telling?
Remodeling for Independence and Dignity – Without Talking About It!
Because almost 90% of seniors want to continue to Live In Place™ in their homes and 70% of seniors now remodel for safety, this webinar will help your business prosper and grow for this market.
You will learn the importance of a standardized app checklist to quickly and accurately evaluate the needs and make recommendations for all your clients, and help reduce your liability.
At the end of this session you will be able to:
- Understand how to sell designs and products for independence and dignity without talking about it.
- Go beyond Universal Design and Aging-In-Place with the most up-to-date information available to recommend and provide safety solutions for every project.
- Recognize the benefits of establishing a collaborative team to meet your clients’ needs.
- Increase your business and profits through a solid business approach to accessibility, comfort and safety.
Nail down your employee costs to raise profits (or How underestimating the true cost of field labor can kill profits)
Ask any contractor what’s hardest to estimate, and s/he will probably say labor. As difficult as it may be to predict how long it will take your crew to complete a set of tasks, it’s nearly as challenging to know how much it will cost you to get those tasks done.
This session reviews the hard and soft costs associated with getting that one hour of work done, and explores the consequences of failing to do so.
Designing to Disguise: The Art of Hiding Technology
Home electronics should integrate seamlessly into a home's design and décor. This course reviews the three-pronged approach to hiding technology - advance planning, design philosophy, and product selection - which are available for minimizing the visual impact of electronics without compromising performance. Specific challenges and recommendations related to hiding video displays, projectors, speakers, controls, cameras, and equipment racks - among others - will be addressed. This course speaks to innovative and creative ways to lessen the visual impact of electronics by making them low-profile, hidden or camouflaged, or even invisible!
Learning objectives for this course:
- Review various residential systems and technologies and the unique approaches that can be used in the concealment process.
- Discuss how advance planning, design philosophy, and product selection affect the proper functionality of the installed products without compromising design integrity and aesthetics.
- Discuss methods and strategies for hiding technology in safe, convenient, and secure methods.
- Analyze technology implementation planning process.
KOHLER Toilets are on the leading edge of design and innovation. From our sleek, clean designs, to utilizing the latest technology in our intelligent toilets, Kohler offers a solution to meet every client's needs. Join us on May 23rd, to learn more about Kohler's Toilet Leadership and see some of our new products. All webinar attendees will be entered into a drawing for a chance to win a 2pc Cimarron Skirted Toilet!
Closing the Loop: The estimating to job costing process using QuickBooks
Too often, successful estimating done outside of QuickBooks leads to ineffective job costing in QuickBooks because the system for building the estimate doesn’t match your QuickBooks setup. Learn how to start from your estimating system, build a parallel job costing system in QuickBooks, enter data correctly, and follow through with useful job cost reports. If you’re not using estimates in QuickBooks now, see what they can do for you. If you’re not confident about the accuracy or completeness of your job cost reports, learn how to improve them. If your invoices show too much, too little, or just don’t look the way you want them to, find out how to modify them so they work for you.
- Discover how to create an appropriate match between the way you estimate and the way you job cost
- Follow the steps in QuickBooks from entering an estimate to creating (and making sense of) the job cost reports
Proper Planning for Residential Electronic Systems
As with other rough-in trades (mechanical, electrical, and plumbing), electronic systems should be planned for well in advance of construction and documented at the construction drawing phase of design. This course describes the processes used by professionals in the project planning, design, and installation phases of electronic systems. Participants will be able to identify different types of residential systems and the unique impact of each on specific design considerations, such as space, framing, electrical, and ventilation requirements. This course will also help attendees identify and analyze the benefits of working with trained electronic systems professionals.
- Identify the different types of residential systems and unique considerations of each
- Describe the processes used by professionals in the project planning, design, and installation phases of electronic systems
- Determine electronic systems impact on the design and construction relative to:
- Space allocation
- Framing requirements
- Electrical and conduit requirements
- Ventilation and millwork requirements
- Home theater design
- Recognize essential timeline for selecting and engaging an electronic systems professional for your project
Using Electronic Adaptive Technologies to help People Live in Place
Because almost 90% of seniors want to continue to Live In Place™ in their homes and 70% of seniors now remodel for safety, this webinar will help your business prosper and grow for this market. And many of these people are relying on electronic technologies in their home to make living much easier.
As more and more individuals, especially older ones, choose to stay in their home, there are many challenges that they encounter. Electronic assistive technologies can make Living In Place easier and a much more conducive possibility.
At the end of this session you will be able to:
- Understand the State of Electronic Assistive Technologies & Trends
- The sort of Electronic Assistive Technologies for:
- Mobility Challenged
- Hearing Challenged
- Vision Challenged
- Cognition Challenged
- Overall Home Safety
- How to sell and service these in your business.
How Consumer Financing Can Significantly Boost Your Sales
Recently, a leading home improvement business in Cleveland increased sales by double-digits by offering financing as part of their standard selling practice to every customer. How did they do it? Technology played a key role. So did a few proven sales techniques, a simple message and a little applied psychology.
In this webinar, we’ll provide easy-to-follow guidelines on how you can use consumer financing as a tool to close more sales, increase average order value, improve your cash-flow and grow your business.
- If you don’t currently offer financing, you’ll learn how to drive higher close rates by offering the right financing program to the right customer at the right time. More customers say “yes” when offered flexible financing solutions.
- If you currently offer financing, you’ll learn how to upsell larger jobs by deploying a few simple sales techniques and an effective, easy to use mobile app.
- We’ll use real-world examples to show your sales team how easy it is to offer financing as part of the sales process.
- You’ll learn how the right financing partner can help you get paid faster and significantly improve your cash flow.
Consumer financing is the fastest way to grow your business in 2017. Join us as GreenSky’s Senior Vice President of Sales, Jeffrey Gold, shares how easy it is to leverage today’s most advanced financial services technology to sell more.
The Five Keys to More Leads, More Sales and More Thrilled Customers!
Do you want to grow your remodeling business in 2017? If so, it’s really time to rethink sales and marketing as we’ve known it!
Consider this… over the past few years the way people buy (and shop) has changed dramatically, but, most companies are still using the same outdated strategies and methods in their way of doing business. This HAS to change!
In this special webinar, we will be joined by Tim Musch - Director of Business Development at MarketSharp, who will detail 5 easy-to-implement strategies guaranteed to result in more leads, more sales and more thrilled customers who will spread the word about your company.
You’ll learn how to properly align your marketing and sales efforts with TODAY’s consumer which is critical for success in our changed marketplace. In 2017, consumers are demanding a buying experience that meets THEIR needs and it’s your job to craft this experience that makes your company irresistible.
Some of the powerful items covered include...
- What Bob Dylan, Vince Lombardi, Bill Gates, and Steve Jobs have to say about optimizing your success
- Why you might be “Looking for Leads in all the WRONG Places”
- How to easily generate cost effective leads when you need them through ‘Micro Marketing”
- Why you HAVE to strike the right balance between online and offline marketing
- Specific strategies to turn your unsold leads into profitable business (huge)
- How to put your follow-up efforts on autopilot
- Simple processes to easily create "lifetime" customers (repeat/referral business)
- How you can grow your business this year by over 60% while only getting 10% better at what you do (really!)
- What is Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO) and why it’s critical to your success
- How to breathe life into and convert more of your internet leads
- Proactive methods to consistently get profitable referrals
- How to proactively stimulate positive online reviews for your business
- The secret to stop important things from "falling through the cracks"
- What Key Performance Indicator (KPI) numbers you absolutely need to know about your business
- Much More!
- When: Thursday, November 10th
- Time: 1:00 pm EST (adjust for your time zone)
- Investment: Complimentary, courtesy of NARI
Bottom Line: After joining us for this special webinar you will be in a position to generate MORE leads with LESS cost throughout 2017!
Missed this webinar click here to view the recording
Lobby Your Local Representative: It’s Easier than you think
For many Americans the thought of lobbying their elected officials is daunting. Yet, officials need to hear from their constituents in order to fully do their job. This webinar will help you understand how to make your voice heard and be an advocate for remodelers and small businesses. The course will go over how to succinctly present an issue, how to make “the ask,” and how to follow up to get a response. Grassroots mobilization will also be covered, as well as enhancing your voice through coalitions. You will also learn how to use the NARI website to identify your elected officials and communicate with them.
The webinar will be led by three former elected officials:
The Honorable Tim Hutchinson
Former U.S. Senator and Congressman
The Honorable Charlie Bass
Former U.S. Congressman
The Honorable Albert Wynn
Former U.S. Congressman
Randi Hutchinson, Esq., an attorney and former Congressional staffer will also participate.
Understanding and Implementing OSHA's New Silica Standard for Construction
On March 25, 2016 OSHA issued a new rule to better protect workers exposed to respirable crystalline silica on the job. The rule will affect many home remodelers who work with concrete, brick, stone, and other crystalline silica-containing materials. This webinar will review the key provisions in the new standard for construction and explain what home remodelers need to do to comply with the standard.
Utilizing Technology to Increase Profits: Is Technology a Time Saver or Time Waster.
Leslie Shiner of The ShinerGroup will discuss the current state of technology and what is best to use to maximize your business.
Understanding your Businesses Metrics
Have you ever wondered what really makes your business work?
We are having a one-hour webinar with Henry Goudreau, C.S.L., author, business coach, speaker and founder of HG & Associates, Inc. Henry has been coaching contractors for over 20 years and has developed a proven method to understanding what makes your business work.
In this one-hour webinar, he will show you what business metrics are, how to develop them, and what metrics you need to understand to instantly improve your remodeling business.
- Exactly why you want to know your business metrics, and how to leverage them for your success.
- What metrics you need to focus on.
- How you can easily drive more money to your bottom-line by using your business metrics.
If you ever dreamed of owning a remodeling business that works for you, this is the MUST-HAVE webinar you need to attend.